Making feminized seeds with colloidal silver is one of a few methods growers and breeders use to make these special female-only seeds. We hope to take you through all the methods of makiing feminized seeds here at Seedlys in the upcoming months.
Colloidal silver is a chemical solution that is sometimes used in the cannabis cultivation process to induce female cannabis plants to produce pollen. This pollen can then be used for breeding purposes to create feminized seeds.
Here’s how colloidal silver is used in the creation of feminized seeds:
1. Colloidal silver solution (typically available at specialty stores or online).
2. A healthy female cannabis plant (the donor).
3. A female cannabis plant that you want to pollinate (the receiver).
1. Select the Donor Plant: Choose a healthy female cannabis plant with desirable genetics as the donor. This plant will be used to produce male flowers and pollen.
2. Begin Treatment: Start treating the donor plant with colloidal silver solution early in the flowering stage, typically around two weeks after switching the light schedule to 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness.
3. Apply Colloidal Silver: Spray or apply the colloidal silver solution directly to the branches and nodes of the donor plant where you want male flowers to develop. It’s essential to consistently apply the solution every day or every few days to the same areas. Continue this process for about two to three weeks.
4. Observe Male Flower Development: As you apply colloidal silver, the donor plant should start to develop male flowers instead of the usual female flowers. These male flowers will contain pollen sacs.
5. Collect Pollen: Once the male flowers have fully developed and started producing pollen, carefully collect the pollen using a fine brush or similar tool.
6. Fertilize the Receiver Plant: Choose the female cannabis plant (the receiver) that you want to produce feminized seeds from. During the early flowering stage of the receiver plant, gently dust the collected pollen onto the female flowers’ pistils (stigmas). This will initiate seed production on the female plant.
7. Allow Seed Development: Let the fertilized female plant continue to grow, and it will produce feminized seeds. Be patient, as it may take several weeks for the seeds to fully develop.
8. Harvest and Store the Seeds: Once the seeds have fully developed, carefully harvest them. Allow them to dry for a few days before storing them in a cool, dark, and dry place. Properly stored feminized seeds can remain viable for several years.
Using colloidal silver to create feminized seeds can be an effective method for experienced growers, but it requires careful attention to detail and safety precautions when handling chemicals. Additionally, it’s important to note that the use of colloidal silver for this purpose may be subject to regulations and restrictions in certain jurisdictions, so it’s essential to be aware of the legal and ethical considerations surrounding cannabis cultivation in your area.
Please come back for more updates to this article. We will be adding to our articles regularly and updating them to ensure that our customers and friends have the best information available to them.